How do i get my parents to get a horse?

Home Community Horses & Riding How do i get my parents to get a horse?

This topic contains 20 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Daniellle 17 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Kaila

i’m 11, and i’m turning 12 in 43 days, but anyway, i REALLY want a horse, but my parents keep saying " It’s too much responsability ," BLAH BLAH BLAH!!! What should i do??????!!!!!!!

abby

Don’t get it, it is too much responsibility and you probably won’t be doing the taking care of and paying either.

Hollly

Agreed. It is an incredible amount of responsibility, like having your own child. They are very expensive too.

Kaila

I know but i have been taking horseback lessons ever since i was about 5!! my parents keep saying that it’s not how much the horse costs, but they won’t tell me the rest!!!

Tyler

well maybe try to prove to your parents that you have the responsibleity really show it and work hard:-) thats all i can say i think well hope you get the horse sooon:-)

Kaila

Thats a good idea, Thanks

Susan

We got our son a horse when he was 9 yrs old but we had another horse that belonged to my husband and we were into horses as a family. It is a lot of responsibility. Are you willing to take your Saturdays and clean stalls?….are you willing to get up and feed it every morning and every night? Will you brush it and take care of it and make sure it has full water buckets? Are you willing to give up time playing with friends to be with your horse? What if you want to go somewhere who would take care of it while your gone?..Or would your parents have to take on all the care of it?….Just some questions to ask yourself if you really want a horse….seeing others with horses might give you a wrong impression its easy to own one…if your really wanting a horse show your parents you are responsible ALWAYS!…..don’t rely on somebody else to do your job. If you get a horse please take care of it and always let it know how much you love it! And oh yea Happy Birthday in 43 days!…I hope you get your horse but only if you promise to take care of it. Good Luck!

Robbin

An excellent way to learn to care for a horse AND to show responsibility at the same time would be to volunteer at a stable near you… perhaps in the same place you have been learning to ride, or a neighbors stable. Be consistent/diligent to show them you can. But also be patient. A horse lives a long time and a month or two of working in a stable won’t be enough to show your determination.. go at it with gusto, put in a year… if you aren’t tired of it by then, you never will be. Maybe work on getting one for you 13th birthday?
    (No expectations, though! )

Kaila

I am willing to take Almost EVERY DAY to groom, ride and clean stalls. i do it almost every day now, after school though. I am willing to get up and feed it every morning and every night. I will brush it and take care of it and make sure it has full water buckets and IF i had a choice every SAT. SUN. MON. WED and FRI. to rather play with my friends or take care of my horse, i would pick taking care and playing with my horse. the rest of the days i would play, (only 2 days i would play.) if i had to go some where, my friend that works at the stable would probably help. she already has her own horse, and she’s 12. i think i would do most of the taking care and my friend would only do it when i needed her

Hollly

A horse is a full time every day job, and it will take away a lot of the free time you have after school. But like everyone else said, volunteer at a stable to show your parents you can do it, and stay there at least a year. If you don’t have any problems with it, and at the end of the year you still are willing to take care of a horse, then I hope your parents will see your attempt at responsibility! All that time will give you the time to think about whether you really want to do this for as long as your horse lives, which is a VERY long time!

RACHEL

I HAVE 13 HORSES AND YES IT IS A LOT OF RESPONSIBILTY BUT LET ME GIVE YOU A LITTLE INSIGHT TO WHATS TO BECOME OF THAT LOVABLE HORSE THAT I KNOW THAT YOU ARE PICTURING IN YOUR MIND RIDING ON THAT WARM SUNNY DAY WITH THE WIND BLOWING IN YOUR HAIR. I AM NOT SURE WHERE YOU LIVE BUT HERE IN VIRGINIA IT IS 18 DEGREES AND I AM SURE THAT YOU HAVE TO BE AT SCHOOL AT 9 SO THAT MEANS YOU ARE UP AND DRESS OUT THE DOOR AT 6:30 A.M. TO BREAK ICE AND REFILL YOUR WATER BUCKETS, WHILE YOU ARE FREEZING YOURSELF, THEN YOU GET TO GRAIN AND FEED HAY AND MUCK (SCOOP POOP) FROM YOUR STALL. CHECK YOUR HORSE FROM HEAD TO TOE OF ANY OUT OF THE NORM SCRAPS OR CUTS INCLUDING THE HOOFS. THEN YOU CAN GO BACK IN TO SHOWER AND CHANGE FOR SCHOOL AND WHEN YOU COME HOME FROM SCHOOL YOU GET TO DO IT ALL OVER AGIAN. MY ADVISE TO YOU WOULD BE TO TRY TO COMPERMISE WITH YOUR PARENTS AND LOOK IN THE PHONE BOOK AND FIND A LOCAL STABLE TO VOLENTEER AT UNTIL YOU CAN REALLY SEE WHAT ALL IS INVOLVED AND THEN MAKE YOUR DECISION ABOUT WHAT YOU REALLY WANT. AND I AM SURE THAT IT WOULD SHOW YOUR PARENTS YOUR RESPONSIBILUTY.GOOD LUCK!

Susan

I’m in WV and I’ve been breaking ice out of buckets for about 2 weeks now…Its also no fun to clean stalls in 13 degree weather either…I want warm weather again….sigh….Suebee

Lee

It sounds like you seem to know the resposibilities of horse ownership, (you are already doing this?) and you really want one, BUT…as unfair as this sounds, it is up to your parents if you can have one. You HAVE to SHOW THEM you are willing to take care of it. And it is a JOB. You have to do it every day, twice a day. If you are sick, if the weather is bad, whatever. Unless your horse lives on your property, you will have to depend on your folks to drive you there too, and that is alot to ask them. I hope you get one, but remember, you have to prove to your folks that you are responsible. You may have to wait a bit longer. BUT…keep at it, and I bet you will get one! I was like you but I had to wait til I was 18 and working, but I finally got one, and now we have 12!

Ashley

"my parents keep saying that it’s not how much the horse costs, but they won’t tell me the rest!!!"

XD I’ll tell you what the rest is. It’s the upkeep! Board, vet, farrier, feed, equipment, plus those occasional emergency expenses that pop up now and then. Trust me, it’s expensive. All sorts of things can happen that will drain your wallet. Such as having to move your horse from pasture board ($275/month) to stall board ($500/month) because he chokes on the only feed they give to the pasture-boarded horses.

But if you really want your parents to get you a horse, show them that you can keep up with the responsibilities of owning. Try a full lease. You get all the responsibilities of owning a horse without the espense. That’s how I proved that I was ready for my own horse.

angela

Ah well… I am in the same situation as u! I am 12 and I have been riding for 5 yrs. My father told me that when I was ten that I could get a horse and everything!!

Here is a test that u could post back to see if the time is right!

1. Do you have enough room for a horse

2. Do you know how to tack-up a horse on your own and or take care of it.

3. would you be willingto wake up at 5 in the morning to feed it etc.

4. Do your parents like horses… are they afraid of them

5. If your horse got hurt and your parents were out would you know what to do??

I hope that someday your dreams will come true just like my own…. Later Trefrog12345678

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.